Sunday, December 29, 2013

2013 in Review

This is the last week of 2013. So much has happened in this very eventful year.

On the top of the list is the passing on of my dear Ah Pa. If he were alived, he would be celebrating his 72 birthday next year. This sudden passing is a poignant reminder of the vagaries of life. I felt so helpless when I was in the hospital. No matter how much money or power I had, there was no way to bring him back.

Another important event is my decision to work part-time for second half of this year. There were habits to inculcate and values to instill into my two boys under my charge. I have sought help but others could turn down when the going was tough. I could not as I am their mother. It is a 24/7 job with no day off and no pay. However the greatest reward is to see the boys mature and become more sensible day by day.

I also experienced first hand of being sandwiched between two generations when my mom needed medical attention. Life was a constant shuttling from my place, clinic, hospital and my mom place. This was on top of the ferrying of my boys to-and-fro school. Things became more challenging when my husband was out of town.

Yet I managed to find time to resume my blog this year and to attend my toastmasters meeting. Many thanks to Ramana, Reuben and fellow toastmasters who have been so generous with your advice and help. Writing my blog calms me. Participating in toastmasters meeting energises me. Being with positive people makes me look at the bright side of life. It was also this year that I earned my Advance Communicator, Silver and Competent Leader Award. I may have taken a few years to do so. But I am enjoying the journey and making progress.

Today, I played a 18-hole golf game. I was pleasantly surprised of my drives and shots which have made new personal records. Close friends would know of the struggle I had learning golf. I picked up some really bad habits which were straining my back. Subsequent unlearning and relearning was a very painful process. I am amazed by my tenacity. There were times which I was actually deteriorating in my game, completing the game with a much bigger score than I previously managed. I persevere because I love husband and would like to take care of him in our game.

In a sense, playing golf is like living our life. There would always be challenges. It is important that we do not give up and keep working at it. One day, we will see light at the end of tunnel. 

believe that things in life happen for a reason and I will try my best to get through each challenge. I will keep moving and improving myself.

No comments: