Friday, February 19, 2010

Use of Personification in Writing

Tonight, I shall share with you on the use of personification in essay writing. The word "personification" comes from the word "person".

For example, I have once written a blogpost about "Teacher of the Night". Something like "Unlike most teachers who eschew night activities, she encourages me to go and enjoy what the night has to offer." The teacher that I am talking about refers to "Night Safari". I ended the blog with "After a night filled with actions, I may be late for work tomorrow. But I am sure, she will understand." Get the idea?

By using this concept, you can hold the readers in suspense of what you are talking about and draw parallel between the concept that you are talking about and the "person" who is very familiar to the readers. This concept brings fun to the readers and also help to understand better the concept that you are introducing. Cool, right?

Here is another example which on Chinese New Year, which I have just coached my boy.


Chinese New Year

Unlike many of my classmates, I only see him once a year. We will welcome him in our spick and span house. At the same time, we will also don on our new years, complete with megawatt smile.

My friend's name is Mr Chinese New Year. Every year, in the lead-up to the annual meeting, my mother will cluck around like a headless chicken. She will be busy with spring-cleaning and buying new year goodies. As for me, I will take a hard look at my old toys. I never fail to just dust away the dirt and pack them back in a clear plastic bag. Hey, remember the saying "make new friends but keep the old".

Mr Chinese New Year is a chameleon. Last year, he was the intrepid bull. He will be the roaring tiger this year. To welcome him, my house is filled with new year decorations revolving around the tiger theme. I am also busily learning a new auspicious new year greeting "hu niu xing hao yun", meaning "have a prosperous tiger year". Here is also wishing you a happy new year!

No comments: