Sunday, February 14, 2010

Please Mind My Legs

This is the fun version of my earlier more circumspect article.
================================

I wince in pain as a lady in the little black dress hit me hard on my right leg with her latest purchase of board game at 20 per cent discount.

Our legs are so important when we do shopping at Orchard area especially during sales. People throng the Premier shopping district of Singapore. There are queues everywhere - people pack around the silver metal containers where the clothes are on "lelong", people queuing up at the changing room, and more people queuing up at the cashier. And when you are done with your bags of war chest, you join the taxi queue.

Surely, my bruise is worth more than the $20 buck that the lady would have saved from the board game. Worse, there is not even a word of sorry, she just continues to make her dash to the next shop to fill her stash of good buys. I give her a cold stare and at that moment, I really wish that eyes could kill.

Recently, I have ditched shopping in the upmarket Orchard area for suburban shopping. Instead of daytime shopping, I now prefer to bask in the moonlight. Somehow, with the cool and gentle night breeze, people become more considerate. There is no upsetting crowd chants unlike in the city area. In its place, the uplifting crowd cheers fill the air.

While there is crowd, it is a more healthy sort which I do not need to be constantly on the lookout for shoppers banging my legs with their shopping bags. Everyone is happily and orderly picking up a bargain for at the little kiosks at the foyer area of town centre. A number are touting the latest fad and style fashion apparels, assessories such as belts, earrings and bags. Some are clearing branded rejects at rock bottom prices. You can also get cheap thrills for little children which tie in with the different times of the year - lanterns during the Lantern Festivals, or the newest kids on the block.

When the clock strikes 8.30 pm, the salesgirl at nearby bakery shop will shout in her hoarse, loud voice of the markdown prices of the buns. Bargain hunters could take their pick from the fresh array of buns for a good half an hour before the shop shutters come down.

Besides buns, shoppers could also choose from a plethora of eating establishments that caters to different budgets. There is the everyday kopi-tiam style Koufu, Crystal Jade Chinese Restaurant and a couple of other restaurants to choose from depending on what you fancy For those on the move, they will also be spoilt for a choice with household fast-food chains such as MacDonalds, Burger King, KFC; as well as local one like Old Chang Kee dotting the suburban shopping area.

I love shopping in the suburban area especially the one near my place. Not only can I get the things which I need all within close proximity, it is also very easy on my pocket. Especially for fashion items, yes, the price does reflect the quality. But the clothing and assessories could last till the next wave in fashion sweeps in.

At the same time, I feel a sense of homecoming when I am at my town shopping unlike in the city. Maybe, it is because I can easily catch a bus home. Or even if I were to miss the last bus, I could always take a lazy stroll in the cool and serene night under the starry sky. No need to spend more money on taxi or to queue.

Oh yes, legs are equally important when we are shopping in the heartland. And no, there was no nasty knocks from shoppers to beat the queue.

No comments: