Friday, August 30, 2013

Friends that we know 2


The year 2008 was a defining one for me. I made two important decisions that have changed my life for the better. One was to start this blog and pen my thoughts. Another was to join the Toastmasters Club.

I am an introvert by nature. I could easily while my time away through reading, writing or just lazing around at home. I do not have strong social needs. I am comfortable to blend into the background in social settings. However with the need to do presentation at work, I decided to hone my briefing skills.

I found Toastmasters and through the years , I met many inspiring friends. One that left an indelible mark was Choo Choo. Even though we only had one chance encounter when she served as our language evaluator, her kindness and warmth permeated me. I started to follow her blog http://ganchau.blogspot.sg. It pained me to know that she was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. However, throughout her ordeal which she detailed , she proved to be a brave and incorrigible optimist . She struck me as a gentle and kind soul who always counted her blessings. Reading her story was an inspiration.

She has passed on about two years ago but I will always remember her. My dear friends, if you ever feel that life is unfair, read Choo Choo's blog. You will be swept away by her kindness.

Our job, our position – everything is temporary. The only thing that we are forever, is to touch another human being. Choo Choo has tugged at my heartstrings in the way she led her life and treated others.

This was her favourite quote:

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up." – Vince Lombardi.

Rest in peace, Choo Choo.

No comments: