Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Waiting outside the surgery room

I am penning this post outside the surgery room. In the room lies my beloved mother who is in the safe hands of the doctor.

This is the third time in less than a year that she has undergone the same operation. My mom does have times when she feels frustrated that her children have to take time-off and spend their hard-earnt money on her. She insisted to use her paltry CPF monies to help defray part of her medical costs. Thanks to the generosity of our government, though my mom has always been a full-time home maker, she had some in her account given by the State. 

In a sense, I am thankful that I have this far-sightedness to buy medical insurance for my parents. So we have one less worry about the high medical costs.

But there is still the emotional aspect. We have to assure our mother that it is our pleasure to be able to spend time with her. We treasure the time that we spend waiting to see doctor where we can have small talk. 

I felt this sense of lightness and peace while waiting outside the surgery room. Her predicament has given her children a chance to share our care and concern to her. A tiny smile crept into my face. I am contented and will cherish every single moment with my loved ones.

No comments: