Saturday, August 4, 2012

My first language evaluation

A fellow toastmaster Ramana suggested that I took up the role of a language evaluator. I was hesitated at first as I had never been a language evaluator in my whole life. Ok, I exaggerated - in my years as a toastmaster.

At Ramana's encouragement, I decided to give it a shot. I did some research in the Internet and watched how others did theirs in Youtube. I prepared the script for the opening and carefully chose the word of the day. I had a rough idea of what I was supposed to listen intently for and the key areas which I should focus on.

In the arena of public speaking, preparation can only take me so far. The real test is the performance on the day itself. I must say my preparation served me well. However, there were still certain areas which I needed to brush up on. These showed up at the actual day performance. Or rather, I should term it as rehearsal. For the Toastmasters Movement is to provide a platform for us to practise.

Thank you Toastmasters Club. I know with you I will be better than what I was yesterday!

No comments: