Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ria Bintan - Real Beauty

Bliss is soaking in nature's beauty. My hubby and I did just that in Bintan last December over a short weekend getaway. We made our way to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal on a Friday afternoon.



As I rushed there after work in the morning, my mind was still mulling over some unfinished work matters on the ferry. With my mind filled to the brim with work details, my head soon felt heavy. Fortunately, the ferry trip was a shortone hour journey, the sparadic spasms in head were calmed as my feet felt the stability of land.

We put up at Bintan Lagoon - a resort which faced the ocean. It was a seaside paradise. As there was still daylight, we strolled along the beach and were greeted by the wide expanse of pristine sand the the greyish sea line in the horizon as far as the eye could see. We found a little bench and sat together relishing the postcard-perfect sight.

Before the break of dawn the next day, we proceeded to Ria Bintan for a 18-hole game of golf at the Ocean course. The view was magnificent as we hit our golf ball as the waves came crushing at the beach. At the same time, the sea breeze rushed into land and played with our hair. We were also intoxicated by the whiff of nature's bounty. There was a quiet serenity about the surrounding beauty. For the both of us who were more used to a concrete jungle, the ocean, the greenery and the breeze offered a refreshing respite.

After our 18-hole game, my sprighty hubby suggested to go for another game of 18-hole. It sounded like a great idea at the time when we were mesmerised by nature's beauty. Alas, it was no walk in the park. The next 18-hole game was punishing. I became reacquainted with muscles screaming for attention from the abuse I suddenly subjected them to. My hubby was not one who would allow me to give up once I had agreed to do something. Suddenly, I realised that I owed my discipline to him. Discipline has always been hard to me. Afterall, I am not built for discipline but for novelty and excitement. Boy, I am glad that he is around to give me the much-needed nudge.

Yes, we managed to complete the 36-hole. Though in the final few holes, I swung my golf club byut mostly did not manage a good hit. But you know, sports is not about winning but about completing. To soothe our aching bodies, we indulged in a 60 minutes massage. The skilled hands of the massage therapist rubbed away the muscle aches from overexertion like magic.

On our way back to Singapore, I gazed at my tired hubby as he shifted his head to dodge the draughty air on the ferry. I smiled, leaned my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes for forty winks.

No comments: