I enjoy good quotes. Below are some from Vince Lombardi (1913 to 1970) forwarded to me by a Toastmaster friend.
It has been used in the Table Topics Segment. Fellow toastmasters or guests are invited to pick a number from one to 10. Each number corresponds to a pre-designated Vince Lombardi quote. Thereafter, they are to talk for about one to two minutes on whether they agree with the quote.
Vince Lombardi Quotes
1. Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.
2. Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work.
3. Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts.
4. It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
5. Winners never quit and quitters never win.
6. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.
7. Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.
8. Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything.
9. The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.
10. We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.
Vince Lombardi was an American football coach. In a sense, good sports encapsulate the best of human values. That of consistent hardwork, persistent perservance and pursuit of perfection. That is why sports captivate the hearts and souls of the spectators. They cheer and cry for the athletes who have pushed themselves beyond the shackles of ordinary human beings to achieve the extraordinary.
I believe that such power exists in each and everyone of us. What we need to do is to first believe and set a goal for ourselves. The process of working towards the goal will make us a better person.
Enjoy and believe :)