Sunday, May 30, 2010

My Little Triumph in Music

It is a pleasant surprise and a testimony of the incredible power of believing. Once taught that I have passed the optimal age to learn music, I have proven myself wrong.

I must say that it has been an arduous journey. I was having a difficult time trying to remember what the note on the music score refer to. It was like learning a new language altogether. At first, I got a little ambitious and attempted more difficult pieces. Only to find myself losing interest and giving up altogether.

Interestingly, it was the urge to prove to my boys that persistence is the key to success that I picked up the books again. This time round, I started all over again with the preliminaries. I referred to the old books that my boys started out with and practised relentlessly until I could literally play the pieces with my eyes closed.

It was then I proceeded to Grade 1 pieces. Lo and behold, things miraculously turned easier. I could play using both hands with different notes and at different counts. I remembered 10,000 hour of practice from Malcolm Gladwell's book, Outlier. It is a very simple theory and it works all the time. Patience, persistence, perservance are the keys.

No comments: