Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Power of Dream

No, I am not talking about the song by Celine Dione though that's one of the reasons why I set it on repeat mode when things get tough-going. But this post is about setting goals and making them a reality.

In the same spirit, I have also asked my elder boy to set clear and measurable goals on how many marks he aim to achieve for his coming CA (continual assessment). I told him about the title of the book "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. All things are formed twice - first in your head and second in reality. It's only when you decide on what you want and you can set your mind to pursue your dream.

It's not easy as it takes a hell lot of perservance and setbacks are aplenty. For those of you who have seen my 12-month goal statements right smacked on the right-hand top corner of my laptop screen- yes, I am still working towards them. I guess that is why I can still find the energy to coach my boys after a day's hard work, find time to polish up my speaking skills and also learn about value investing.

You know what - I have survived so many years of Singapore's education and made it through the then-believed-to-lead-one-to-riches science stream. Today, my goal is not about being the top in the rat race. What for? Ultimately, being the top is a rat. It's about living my life.

No comments: