Saturday, October 3, 2009

Phonics and Perservance

Two years passed since I started coaching my younger boy phonics. It was tough to juggle a full-time job and family. It was time-consuming as I needed to do the cooking, the bulk of the housework and ferrying of the two children. Most of all, it was tiring - both physically and mentally.

At first, my boy was keen to learn or rather to try his hands on the computer. Later, the daily session became once a week. Once a week gradually turned once a month and then no more. I was tempted to seek external help. Which I did but the progress was slow and painful.

A few weeks ago, I decided to try again. I started from ground zero. I decided that a shorter but regular session will reinforce the sound and concepts that my boy will pick up.

I re-strategised the approach. The same approach which I used on my elder boy did not work with my younger one as they were so different. My elder boy is quiet but imaginative. He could visualise what I tell him. My younger boy learns better through movement. I need to act out to interest him.

This is just week one of my second attempt. To offer a glimpse of what I teach, the following sounds are taught over a period of five days. Each time over a period of about 15 minutes.

Day 1: Introduce the sound "S" and "EE". Teach the children to listen carefully.
Day 2: Introduce the sound "V" and "AN". Again a listening lesson.
Day 3: Time for the child to practise saying and blending the sounds.
Day 4: Revision time. Make flash cards for this purpose
Day 5: Again revision time. Make the lesson fun by using story and drawing.

No comments: